Introducing Foiling 101
Foiling for everyone...
The all carbon F101 is an all-new foiling trimaran, aimed specifically at those sailors who, for whatever reason, thought foiling to be too difficult for them!
The F101 concept originates from the experience of teaching many people to foil in the international Moth class, and addressing the main barriers they faced. So we set about creating a new boat without the design restrictions of a box rule - in this way foiling could be made easier.
Our ethos is simple; to create a foiling boat that anyone can sail.
F101 design features
- A strict one-design foiling boat capable of carrying larger sailors and/or a passenger/crew
- All carbon design
- A safe/stable platform when foiling or at low speeds
- Able to launch and land from a trolley in shallow water
- Easy to rig, sail and handle
The technical stuff...
Long central hull gets the rudder and main foil further apart, removing some of the limitations and bad habits that other foiling boats suffer from.
- All carbon construction: main hull, foils, floats, beams, 2 piece mast.
- Very simple, well thought out control systems.
- All up weight: 80 kg
- Sail area: 8.5m2 main + 7m2 gennaker
- Target crew weight range: 70-120 kg
- Take off wind speed: 8 kts
- Target boat speed range: 10-25 kts
Who’s behind the project?
The F101 is a collaboration of some of the major brands within the marine industry.
- Sportsboartworld.com – worldwide distributors for the SB20 one-design Sportsboat
- Pro-vela.com – the world’s first foiling school, teaching foiling since 2009
- Whiteformula.com – one of the worlds leading brands for small racing multihulls as well as the builder of the SB20 and Whisper foiling catamaran
- Ron Price of Solent University – designer of the Whisper foiling catamaran
- Hyde Sails, Selden masts and Harken have all been an integral part of the deign group
- A new company, Foiling World Ltd has been incorporated and will be the trading company for the F101